St. Stephen's Musings

:: St. Stephen's Musings ::

:: Welcome to St. Stephen's Musings :: Bloghome | contact me by email |
Blog Roll
:: St. Stephen's Musings
Archives

:: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 ::

Reading On Deck: Book Lover's Disease Strikes

As promised here is the list of books I received as gifts this Christmas season. Have you read any of these?:

"Counsels from the Holy Mountain" by Elder Ephraim (James posted a nice snippit from this book in this post)
"An Experiment in Criticism" by C.S. Lewis (One of the few Lewis books I haven't read before...and very timely with new classes I'm taking next year)

"Christ the Eternal Tao" by Hieromonk Damascene (I've read this before, but now I have my own copy)
"The Hidden Key to Harry Potter" by John Granger (The author is an Orthodox laymen!)
"The Well Educated Mind" by Susan Wise Baur (I'm a huge fan of the classical model of education)

"In the Heart of the Desert: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers" by Fr. John Chryssavgis (One of the best lecturers I've ever heard, by the way. He is coming in February to give another retreat that I am really looking forward to).

"Commentary on the Psalms: Volume I" by St. John Chrysostom
"The Art of the Infinite: The Pleasures of Mathematics" by Robert and Ellen Kaplan
(the wife actually got this but I'm stealing it!)
"Precious Vessels of the Holy Spirit: The Lives & Counsels of Contemporary Elders of Greece" by H. Middleton (A very sharp looking book with lots of great pictures)

Last but not least, 2 English Literature research books and an illustrated hardback "History of Byzantium" will also be good reads.

These will all join a couple dozen more (at least!) I obtained during the fall/winter months that I haven't had time to even crack open. Of note: The biographies of St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Nektarios and St. Seraphim Rose are highly anticipated reading, as well as several tomes I got in a personal exchange made with Brian. In fact I've had to buy another large bookshelf to keep pace with this insatiable problem of mine.

Daniel and I have already joked about having "book lover's disease", so now I ask this question with a bit more shame than usual (but it has to be done): Does anyone have any books they are looking to donate or get rid of? *grin*




:: Karl :: 9:14:00 AM [Link] ::


RSS Feed This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?