St. Stephen's Musings

:: St. Stephen's Musings ::

:: Welcome to St. Stephen's Musings :: Bloghome | contact me by email |
Blog Roll
:: St. Stephen's Musings
Archives

:: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 ::

My Race is Human, New Bloggers, Drug Addicts and a Request

There are several small items I had wished to blog about in more detail this week but, with my Greek mythology final looming before me, I thought I'd offer up just small portions and quotes for your blogging consumption.

I know, a poor liabation. I'm sure you'll forgive me.

*I enjoy reading Jay Nordlinger's "Impromptus" column at NRO. Whether you agree with his politics or not, he is an excellent craftsman of the English language. The following quote, pulled from a recent column, is part of a letter he received from a reader. It gave me a chuckle:

"Upon the birth of our daughter last year, the State of Hawaii sent the requisite forms to acquire her legal birth certificate. The predictable, odious racial-category box appeared on the form, and I treated it in my usual manner - I checked the box that said Other and wrote in *human*."

*As Huw has already noted, a new Orthodox blogger has joined the discussion. T.E Grey is writing "on Orthodox Christianity, family, American rural living, and related topics"....Sounds like a good read! In this post he offers his perspective on some of the questions I brought up a few days ago about ecumenical dialogue.

*I'm trying to find a copy of "Freedom to Believe: Orthodox Christian Existentialism" by Archbishop Lazar Puhalo but am having problems locating a copy. If any of you have this book or know where to find it, let me know.

* Tripp, now focusing more on his work as a hospital chaplain, reflects on a recent encounter he had with a drug addict.

"Once they stabalize her she'll want to leave. She'll go back to her drugs. I'll sit here and be mad and horribly sad. This is beyond the realm of choice. yet she thinks she is choosing. She will die of this...one way or another. And I wonder if I will be holding her hand again when she does. Strangely, I hope I am."





:: Karl :: 10:36:00 AM [Link] ::


RSS Feed This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?