St. Stephen's Musings

:: St. Stephen's Musings ::

:: Welcome to St. Stephen's Musings :: Bloghome | contact me by email |
Blog Roll
:: St. Stephen's Musings
Archives

:: Monday, June 30, 2003 ::

Words of Humility for the Intellectual

This quote from St. Ephraim the Syrian convicts me everytime I see it. For the sake of my soul, I should have it printed out on quality paper, framed, and put over my desk.

"If you are an ardent reader, seek not brilliant and erudite texts; otherwise the demon of haughtiness will strike your heart. But like a wise bee that gathers honey from flowers, so also through your reading obtain healing for your soul."

Simple. Piercing in its wisdom. Brutally insightful. It is a constant reminder that I need to spend more time in the Bible, and less time with the latest books from SVS Press! Better yet, I should spend more time away from books in the first place and more time in prayer, acts of mercy, or just being present in simplicity to those who come into my path.





:: Karl :: 5:44:00 PM [Link] ::


RSS Feed This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?